Saturday, March 8, 2014

Week 5

Hey everyone. This week I've caught up on some well needed rest and it feels really good to refresh my mind and dive into my project again. I've noticed that the less I have to do, the less I know how to structure my blog post so I'm just going model this one how my subconscious functions: randomly (I do this also to boost my creativity so I can translate it into my artwork). 

Jonathan should be coming back from his conference next week so I should have more information and pictures about the ostrich farm hopefully next week or the week after.

I also aim to find some books and sources about the philosophy of religion in the near future. I want to look at philosophers' theories about religion and use the knowledge I learn to incorporate it into the paper I'm going to write about my photo essay. So, to be clear, I will be producing a photo essay and also a paper explaining in words what's going on and the theories and ideas behind the photos. This is the time where I also give a shout out to Ms. Connolly for inspiring this idea (if you're reading this, thank you). Taking her Critical and Literary Theory class was unbelievably satisfying because I have learned to take in multiple perspectives and question EVERYTHING from linguistics to abstract ideas. I wrote a final paper for her class doing exactly what I've mentioned in the beginning of this paragraph and I earned a top score, so I hope I'm able to accomplish the same thing for my SRP.

On Sunday I went to youth group, as usual. Nothing new to report.

On Thursday, I FINALLY met Mr. Rick Wiley, Head of Photography at the Daily Star. He allowed me to sit in on a meeting to determine which stories were going to make it into Friday's paper. The meeting room was exactly like you'd see in the movies, beige and brown walls with a giant oval table in the middle of it. There were 3 main stories mentioned and those were about an increase in UofA tuition, the extension of hours for the street car downtown and the death of a 3 year old boy. The conversation about the tuition increase was pretty self evident as to why it should be included in the paper. The street car has extended its hours of operation to the UofA students because of all the partying that's done Thursday-Sunday. Also, the street car story included a picture with it. The 3 year old boy story came with photos as well but almost didn't make the paper because some of the editors weren't really buying the stories of the people involved. The editors determined which story to use as the center story by looking at which photo was stronger. The one with the 3 year old had a very emotional picture of the grandmother crying with 2 other women. The one with the street car had a street car making a stop at the World of Beer downtown. They said that because there's really only one way to shoot a street car, it wasn't as interesting of a sight, so they went with the 3 year old as the center story because the emotion in the image were so strong.

So just in case you were starting to lose interest in my project, photography DOES matter because the strength of the subject matter and composition can be the difference between a front page story and not a front page story. Photos are like an advertisement. If your photos are weak, no one is going to buy your product nor will they invest their time in your product.

I leave you, my wonderful blog readers, to a piece of mine that I've finished for art that will be displayed in the art show on Sunday. It's titled Live Unique.


No comments:

Post a Comment